- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups brown sugar (dark or light), packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2-1/4 cup all-purpose flour, separated (1/4 cup flour set aside)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce (if you have sweetened applesauce, just reduce the brown sugar slightly)
- powdered sugar to decorate
preheat oven to 350 degrees F. butter and flour two loaf pans.
in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. add eggs one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, stop mixer and scrape down sides, and beat a bit longer until completely mixed.
toss raisins in 1/4 cup flour in a small mixing bowl and set aside. add 1 cup flour to mixture in mixer, then 1 cup applesauce, and repeat. stop mixer, scrape down sides, start again and continue to mix for another minute, then add flour-coated raisins and mix just until evenly distributed. stop mixer, and divide batter between loaf pans. place in middle of oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until done (a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean). cool in pans on wire racks until completely cooled, then turn out onto plates and dust with powdered sugar to decorate.