this takes less than 5 minutes to whip up in the blender.
- 1 clove garlic, pressed, minced or grated on microplane
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt (adjust to your taste -- if you use table salt, start with 1/4 teaspoon and add more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
preparation couldn't be easier: place all but the oil in the blender and pulse a few times to combine. add all the oil at once and blend for 30 seconds to a minute, until completely combined. decant into a clean bottle.
this amount lasts a family of four about a week... we DO eat a lot of salads.
possible variation: add chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, chives, etc.) to taste -- but I prefer to add them to the salad and keep the dressing simple. that way, the herbs stay crisp and fresh and bright green.