adapted from Martha Stewart's Basic Pancake Recipe
note: this makes a large batch of pancakes. you can freeze them (with sheets of wax paper in between the pancakes to keep them from sticking), refrigerate them for a few days, or scale the recipe down by 2/3 or 1/3 if you prefer. it will still work.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup yogurt (Greek or regular)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (spooned into measure and leveled)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder, sifted or forced through a sieve
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
cook over medium heat in buttered skillet. pour out ¼ – ½ cups of batter at a time, and cook until bubbles start to dry out on top and edges begin to firm. flip and cook 30-60 seconds longer, until middle of pancake springs back when you press it lightly with your finger. adjust heat under pan so pancakes get as brown as you'd like during this cooking process. stack on a plate until all are done.
photo courtesy of Charles Geiger