Featured Post

sourdough discard crackers

use up that sourdough starter in something other than pancakes! this recipe is loosely based on King Arthur Flour's sourdough cracker re...

Sunday, September 26, 2010

darned good sandwich bread

I have an ancient (well, at least 20-year-old) Zojirushi bread machine. I'd get a new one, with all the cool new features, but this one refuses to quit. so I love it, despite its funky-shaped loaves. when it's cooler out, I use it to knead the dough, and bake in the oven -- the best of both worlds. but it's still hot here, and I started getting tired of my usual bread machine recipe -- just wasn't doing it for me. I tweaked it and came up with something I really like. it has a nice, tight, fine crumb and tasty crust and works perfectly for toast and sandwiches.

1.5 cups milk (water's fine, too -- I just had some extra milk I needed to use up; buttermilk would also be good)

1.5 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
2 teaspoons salt
1.5 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil (sometimes I use butter)
3 cups unbleached white flour (currently liking Bob's Red Mill or King Arthur)
.5 cup whole wheat flour

dump it all in the machine in order, set machine for a 4-hour cycle (on mine, this is called "dry milk basic bread," for some reason). the extra kneading and rising cycle makes a difference here. next time, I'll try using a higher proportion of whole wheat flour.

No comments: